Republic Day 2023
In the year 2023, India is celebrating its 74th Republic Day. This year, the President of Egypt Abdel-Fattah el-Sisi is the chief guest of the Republic Day 2023 celebrations. He is the first top leader of Egypt to be invited as chief guest of India’s Republic Day. The first Chief Guest of the parade in 1950 was President Sukarno of Indonesia. He was one of the five founding members of Non-Alignment Movement (NAM). In the year 1952, 1953, 1966, 2021 and 2022, no chief guest was invited.
Since the year 1950, India is celebrating 26 January as Republic day as on this day in 1950, our Constitution came into force. The Constituent Assembly adopted the Constitution on 26 November 1949 and therefore, 26 November is observed as Constitution Day in India. Dr B R Ambedkar was the Chairman of the Drafting Committee of the Constitution. Before Independence, the day was celebrated as Independence Day, as in 1929, during the Lahore session of the Indian National Congress Poorna Swaraj was declared and it was decided to observe 26 January as Independence Day.
Every year, armed forces personnel march along the Kartavya path (formerly known as Rajpath) in New Delhi. Different states and government departments participate in the Republic Day celebrations with their tableau based on various themes. After the republic day, the winners in each category are declared.
Republic Day celebrations begin with a grand parade starting from Raisina Hill near Rashtrapati Bhavan, along the Kartavya path, past India gate and culminate at the Red Fort.
During Republic Day, the President of India unfurls the national flag and distributes Padma Awards and other military awards like Paramvir Chakra, Ashok Chakra and Vir Chakra to brave soldiers.
Quiz on Republic Day
1. In the year 2023, India is celebrating its ____ Republic Day 2023?
2. Who is the chief guest on the 74th Republic Day?
a. Abdel Fattah El-Sisi
b. Mohammed bin Salman
c. Haitham bin Tariq Al Said
d. Ebrahim Raisi
3. Who was NOT a Padma Vibhusan awardee on the 73rd Republic Day?
a. Ms. Prabha Atre
b. Shri Gulam Nabi Azad
c. Shri Kalyan Singh
d. General Bipin Rawat
4. Where was the first Republic Day parade held in 1950?
a. Irwin Amphitheater
c. Jawaharlal Nehru stadium
d. Talkatoora stadium
5. Who will lead the Indian Navy contingent tableau and showcase the 'Nari Shakti' in force at 74th Republic day?
a. Bhawana Kanth
b. Disha Amrith
c. Shivangi Singh
d. Madhuri Kanitkat
6. Which was the first foreign military contingent that took part in the Republic Day Parade in 2018?
a. French Army
b. Russian Army
c. South Sudan Army
d. Egyptian Army
7. The Republic day parade starts from
a. India Gate
b. Sansad Bhawan
c. Rashtrapati Bhawan
8. Who was the first female officer to lead the guard of honour to welcome US President Barack Obama?
a. Puja Thakur
b. Bhawana Singh
c. Shivangi Singh
d. Swati Singh
9. Which tableau was selected as the best tableau on 73rd Republic day?
a. Uttar Pradesh
c. Himachal Pradesh
10. What was the theme of Uttar Pradesh tableau on 73rd Republic Day?
a. One District One Product and Kashi Vishwanath Dham
b. Ayodhya: Cultural Heritage of Uttar Pradesh
c. Cradle on traditional Handicraft
11. What is the name of the 21-gun salute that was fired during the parade on Republic Day?
a. Ashoka gun
b. Victory gun
c. Parakram gun
d. Salute gun
12. Who was the first chief guest on Republic day held in 1950?
b. Mao Zedong
c Joseph Stalin
d. Nikita Khrushchev
13. Why did our constitution come into force on 26 January?
a. National Congress chose this day to celebrate Independence day since 1930.
b. Purna Swaraj was accepted by the British on this day
c. Constituent Assembly was formed on this day
d. Mahatma Gandhi was born on this day
14. Name the first President who unfurled the national flag in 1950.
a. Rajendra Prasad
b. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan
c. Zakir Hussain
15. In which year no chief guest was present in Republic Day celebrations?
16. How many states/UTs have been selected to showcase their tableau?
17. When was the first Parade held at Rajpath?
18. When did Queen Elizabeth II become chief guest on India’s Republic Day?
19. In which year Malik Gulam Mohammad, Governor General of Pakistan, became the first-ever Chief Guest to attend the Republic Day parade at Rajpath?
20. Who is known as the Father of the Indian Constitution?
a. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru
b. Mahatma Gandhi
c. Dr. B R Ambedkar
d. Dr. Rajendra Prasad